Perfect Circle

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Snake oils and hocus pocus....

That sums up how I felt my "interview" went today. First bad sign...I walk into the company and I see about 6 other people waiting in the lobby to be "interviewed" at 2:30. Um...ok? Second bad sign, quite a few of the applicants were wearing jeans and flip flops. You would think that would give me the edge, cause I was dressed to impress. You only get one chance to make a first impression right? Well, my impression of the people interested in this job was bad.

So we all get called into a conference room and he proceeds to tell us that he's interviewing us this way because of the overwhelmingly huge response to the ad. But he starts out with this big song and dance about how much money we can make if only we are willing to work hard for it. I mean... this great money doesn't come for nothing. This guy was the most enthusiastic speaker I've ever heard. He was going on and on about what a great company this is to work for and how the more clients you get the more you make, yada yada yada. Hey...wait a minute....
Didn't the ad say no sales? I think I just had the ol switcherooey pulled on me. The ol bait and switch. At the end of this big speech we all get a chance for a one on one interview.

The first thing I ask when I get in the room is...what exactly does the appointment clerk do? Is there any cold calling? He then said "I'm not gonna lie to ya, there is some cold calling", "It's not a majority of the calls you make, but it is some". Then he tells me about all the other ways they get information on prospective clients, and I am not too happy. He then proceeds to ask me if this sounds like something I would be interested in and I said...not so much. He said he'd keep my resume on file incase a clerical job opens up that doesn't require "APPOINTMENT" making. What a waste of time. I'll never get that hour back again.
So back to the ol drawing board............................

Good news though. Collin did really well at daycare. I dropped him off at around 11 so I could go home and get ready for the interview and the instant that we walk in the door he runs and starts playing on this huge wooden bus they have in the toddler room. He didn't even notice me leave. That was great for me. I was expecting this heart wrenching moment where I have to leave this crying screaming kiddo behind therefore feeling like the worst mom ever. They said he did had a great day. He ate most of his lunch and then took a little nap, which I didn't think he would do. He had several little kids for him to play with and two teachers watching over them all. The other nice thing about this daycare is that they have a special program for mothers looking to return to work. Instead of having to pay the full weekly fee to hold his place at the daycare, I can schedule two days a week to bring him in so that I can go on interviews, or go job hunting. I only have to pay the per day fee, which saves quite a bit of money. If I could tolerate it I would open a daycare. They make some mad cash.
Well that's about it. I guess the day wasn't a total wash. It feels good to have found a place for Collin when I do return to the workforce.

5 Comments:

  • I had a similar experience back in Joplin during my early college years.

    I went for an "interview" which was actually a mass recruitment for people to sell knives door-to-door. Sadly, I don't think they were even Ginsu. That's too bad; I would have liked to cut a shoe in half.

    So,what's next?

    By Blogger Grubesteak, at 6:58 AM  

  • I looked up UPS, no positions right now. I looked at USPS, only part time rural drivers, LOL, I can't see me doing that unless they pay for the gas, cause you drive your own car. I looked at USAJOBS, no government jobs available in my areas of expertise. Today is Wednesday, I guess I'll check the paper again. I've never been the one to have a hard time finding work, it's always been Dave, because he's so specialized. I guess I can find a "job" but now that I have a child, it has to pay decent for it to be worth it.
    I'm sure there is something out there, I'm just antsy.

    By Blogger Brandi, at 10:01 AM  

  • AHHH!

    It's been to long since I've visited you!

    I'm so glad you're settled in your house now! It must feel great!

    I just saw that you used to work for State Farm. Wrong company to work for there chickie....Nationwide is the company...why? because I work there. LOL

    Better luck on the next job interview, and I'm glad Colin likes daycare.

    ...he's a cutie by the way.

    Happy house warming!

    By Blogger Nikki, at 9:20 AM  

  • I've had that exact experience with a job interview. Such crap and a total waste of your time. So sorry but you will find something!

    By Blogger Pat & Reg, at 11:57 PM  

  • yeah

    getting hustled on the job interview to do cold calls

    i hate cold calling

    more than anything

    well, not quite - but pretty close

    By Blogger cadbury_vw, at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home